Monday, December 28, 2009

We survived Christmas!

Well, it's a miracle. We survived the holidays! We survived Christmas Eve/Christmas without rice balls, white pasta, canolis, napoleons, SUGAR! I could go on forever. Gram made a delicious lasagna with whole wheat lasagna sheets, low fat ricotta and mozzarella, turkey meatballs and turkey sausage. You could barely tell the difference, it was great! We each had ONE (yes, one!) serving and felt satisfied. For dessert, we had low fat vanilla frozen yogurt and berries. It wasn't even close to being as delicious as all the Italian pastries we are used to, but it satisfied my sweet tooth and I really enjoyed it.

This week, Mom and I are in Texas visiting our family. We are doing really good with making healthy choices while we are here. Even though I would love to have a Jack in the Box Taco while I'm here, I am NOT going to do it! We also are getting in a ton of walking. Luckily, we have access to a treadmill while we are here and that really helps. I'm having so much fun, I'm definitely not going to want to go home!

I'm not doing so great with the trying vegetables thing. I can tolerate mushrooms still... but that's about it. I tried zucchini and spaghetti squash... umm no thanks. Hopefully I'm able to find more healthy choices I actually enjoy because I know eventually I will get sick of salads with cucumbers and chicken!

At Target we bought a yummy snack... it has walnuts, craisins and dark chocolate covered soynuts. I LOVE walnuts! Who knew?! They are really good. And the dark chocolate covered soynuts are awesome. Next, I'm going to try soynuts not covered in chocolate.... I hope I like them too. I'm kind of doubting that though! lol

Mom, Gram and I weighed in yesterday and are still doing great... but I'm not giving away numbers! We still don't have an airdate for the show but hopefully we get one soon. Keep you all posted!

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up, ladies! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nicole, got some veggie ideas for you, I'm really bad with trying new ones too (I've never had a cucumber haha) but I like carrots, celery, peppers (the red and yellow are great and have a lot of nutrients), broccoli and green beans, you're doing so great and I'm going to buy the "you on a diet book" today at work!---Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great Nicole!! Have you tried asparagus? It's my favorite veggie. Sautee it in just a tiny bit of olive oil and it's just perfect. If you like the soynuts try edamame.. It's steamed soy beans with a light sprinkling of sea salt. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete